Cayley Lavagna-Slater is a second-year learner in our kitchen at Fern Hill Hotel. During this time, she has shown huge developments in her desserts and patisserie skills.
Before studying with us, Cayley worked at Mugg & Bean for a year in Vanderbijlpark. This is where she realised she had a passion for food and sweets and made the decision to take the next step and hone her skills in a professional training kitchen. She has progressed in leaps and bounds since her inception at the school and I have become rather reliant on her input and ability within the kitchen!
Her drive to create and develop various dessert items has wowed all of us. She has spent so much time beyond call and duty researching her interests and this has given her a real advantage with her studies, as well as her personal growth.
Her latest addition to brighten up our dessert buffets and birthday plates are these fantastic, colourful and flavoured meringues. This recipe was adapted by Cayley from one of our own and has shown to be a real crowd pleaser.
Colour Meringues (Makes 80 small meringues):
You will need:
A plastic piping bag
Basic round piping nozzle
Food colourant of your choice
Flavourant of your choice (we used pureed raspberry for the pink meringues)
600g Castor sugar
300g Egg whites
Preheat the oven to 200oc. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a tray and pour the sugar onto it. Place the tray of sugar into the oven for 5 minutes.
In the mean time, whisk the egg whites to stiff peak in a stand mixer. Add 1-2 tsps of your desired flavouring. Take the sugar out the oven and slowly add it to the stiff egg whites spoon-by-spoon until the sugar is finished.
Leave to beat on high speed until the sugar has dissipated and the meringue is nice and stiff.
Turn a piping bag inside out and brush streaks of food colourant all the way from the nozzle to about half way up. Fill the bag with the meringue and pipe as desired.
Bake for 30-40minutes at 100oc.
Once cooled, serve or store in an airtight container.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016