This year was made all the more exciting when I discovered that we are the first and only restaurant in the KZN Midlands to have vegan options for starters, mains and desserts on the menu. This has been a great addition as it has pleased so many of our vegetarian and vegan diners. Usually, vegan patrons need to phone ahead and pre-organise their meal with restaurants in the area – and that’s if the restaurant would be willing to accommodate their dietary requirements.
I understand that it does take quite a bit of effort to create restaurant-quality vegan food, but if everyone is so willing to put hours on end into making a great confit pork belly or duck leg, then why can they not also spend time preparing good quality vegan food for a rapidly-growing demographic in South Africa?
Just as I do, many restaurants like to sing and dance about their ‘farm to table’ method of acquiring produce and we can all acknowledge that using local and sustainable produce is really important. In our area we have so many awesome vegetable producers and I also take great pride in my small-scale organic vegetable garden. It seems such a shame to not make these vegetables the star of the dish and to really show off their beauty and flavour – and who better to serve a fantastic vegetable dish to than our dear vegan customers?
As a meat-eater, I am proud of the fact that I have made an effort to accommodate more and more customers in my restaurant by creating dishes that I wouldn’t normally eat, but knowing that they will all enjoy them. There are many factors pertaining to why Veganism is the future, which I won’t go into now, but if you are interested in why there is a worldwide trend towards eating plan-based, take a look at this page to gain more of an understanding about the welfare, sustainability and environmental reasons behind the movement. Also, check out Midlands local, Keri Bainborough, of Midlands Musings’s, recent article about her experience of finding local restaurants to meet her vegan needs… we’re so excited to have been featured!All images property of Keri Bainborough.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016