This courgette, cherry tomato and basil pesto tart is an incredibly easy, incredibly delicious recipe for a yummy vegetarian meal on Meat-free Monday. It is the perfect addition to a ‘harvest table’ styled meal or as a dish to impress friends at a casual lunch or dinner. Being super versatile, it lends itself well to using up left-over veggies or whatever else you fancy. I used my own puff-pastry (recipe to follow in the future) but store-bought works just as well and is far less of a mission. Give it a try – it is absolutely delicious and good-looking.
Ingredients (Makes one large tart or two smaller tarts):
1 x 20cm-10cm rectangle puff pastry
2 x large courgettes
6 x cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp basil pesto
10g Shaved parmesan
Liberal pinch of flaked salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 180oc.
Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk.
Cut the puff pastry to the desired size and brush with the egg wash. If you want to, cut a thin strip for each side and make a border.
Slice your courgette at an angle to create thin slices. Cut the cherry tomatoes into slices too.
Place your courgettes, overlapping, onto the egg-washed pastry followed by the tomatoes.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about fifteen minutes until the base is crisp.
Spoon the basil pesto over the centre and top with shaved parmesan. If desired, drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016