A basic outline of ‘Chaîne des Rôtisseurs’ is that it is an international society devoted to choice dining and the camaraderie of the table. It is a fantastic association to be a part of as it enables professional bonds and contacts and offers friendships across international boundaries. It also promotes the art of fine cuisine amongst amateur and professional food and wine lovers, and is highly influential in the development of young culinary professionals.
On Friday the 26th of June, I attended the annual Chaîne Des Rôtisseurs Chapitre at The Oyster Box Hotel in Durban. The evening commenced with an induction ceremony in the Durban July Room at the hotel, where I was awarded the title of ‘Maitre Rôtisseur’ – a promotion from my previous ‘Rôtisseur’ title; it was also acknowledged that I am now the youngest person in South Africa to ever have received this title, which was very exciting. I will now also be actively involved in the Chaîne’s Junior Chef development programme amongst the various chef schools to help young South African chefs prepare and compete properly in order to succeed in the international competitions – a position I’m very proud to be taking.
After the induction, we had delicious canapés and arrival drinks in the Oyster Bar with a brandy and chocolate stand sponsored by KWV. The five course dinner was served in the Pearl Room and was concluded with a thrilling and lucrative raffle of which the proceeds went to charity. All in all, a great and extremely memorable evening!
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016