For the mashed potatoes:
4 large potatoes
2 cups of rock salt
2 large eggs
100g salted butter cubed
Salt and white pepper for seasoning
Pre-heat the oven to 180oc. Place the rock salt onto a tray.
Place the whole potatoes onto the salt and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft.
Remove from the oven and cut potatoes in half before pressing through a tamis or a sieve into a bowl.
Scrape the potato off the bottom of the sieve and discard the skins.
Add the cubed butter and stir to incorporate fully. Add the seasoning and taste before adding in the egg. Reserve some egg mix for later.
Keep the mash aside until the fish pie mix is made. For the fish pie filling:
400g SASSI green list fish of your choice (I used fresh snoek; deskinned, deboned and cubed)
300g Shelled, deveined prawns
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 cup dry white wine
20g each fresh dill, Italian parsley, fennel tops, tarragon
4 bay leaves
A handful of asparagus/broccoli/sugar snap peas
A pinch of sugar
In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter. Add in the onions and garlic and let them sweat. Once the onion is soft, add in the flour and the bay leaves and stir to combine. Add the white wine and cook out before adding in the fish.
Chop up the dill, parsley, fennel and tarragon to form a mixture.
Season the fish with a little salt and white pepper then add the cream and half of the herb mixture. Let the fish cook through before adding the prawns and the vegetables. Adjust the mixture with more cream or milk if necessary, but remember the prawns will let out water, especially if previously frozen.
Once the vegetables are tender, add the remaining herbs and a pinch of sugar, then season to taste.
Place the mixture into an oven proof container. Place the mashed potato into a piping bag and pipe over the fish mix, or alternatively, just spoon it over the top.
Brush some of the reserved egg on top and place in the oven until browned at 180oc.
Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon and some fresh dill.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016