These delicious Poached Pear Pies are great for a nice warming winter dessert. The ‘Christmassy’ aromatics combined with the soft, juicy pear really hit the spot when combined with the crisp pastry and crème anglaise. Try them – they’re seriously good, attractive, and comforting – not to mention perfect for the freezing conditions we’ve had in the Midlands lately!Ingredients:
4 whole pears (or however many you prefer)
3 cups white wine
4 whole star anise
2 tsp mixed spice powder
4 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod, split
Peel of one orange
Juice of one orange
Brown sugar to taste
Shop-bought or homemade puff pastry
One egg for egg wash
Peel the pears and scoop out the pips with a melon-baller from underneath.
Combine the wine with the aromatics and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, reduce to just less than a simmer and place the pears into the liquid so that they are completely covered.
Cover with greaseproof paper and allow to poach until a skewer inserted into the pear comes out with ease.
Remove from the poaching liquid and allow to cool.
Cut long strips of puff pastry (I used homemade rough puff pastry), and wrap the pears from the stem to the base overlapping each layer slightly.
Egg wash each pear and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180oc until golden brown and crisp.
Serve with homemade crème anglaise or a delicious creamy vanilla ice cream.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016