This cake was inspired by one of Jackie Cameron’s students, Kate Couzins, whose lemon meringue cake really had me wanting to try it out. I could not wait to give it a whirl, and so, using my recipes for various elements, I have come up with a version of my own. It really is a special cake and will make any occasion one to remember. Thanks Kate and Jackie for the awesome idea!You will need
1 pre-baked hot milk sponge cake.
For the lemon curd
1.5 cups sugar
12 egg yolks
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp corn flour
+-10 tbsp cubed cold butter
In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, yolks, lemon juice, zest and corn flour over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat up slightly and whisk the mixture until thick. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl then gradually add the butter and whisk to incorporate. Cover with cling wrap touching the curd directly and refrigerate until needed.
For the Swiss meringue
6 egg whites
1.5 cups sugar
A pinch of cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Bring a pot of water to the boil. In a bowl, combine the egg whites and the sugar and whisk over the boiling water until the sugar dissolves (about 4-5mins). Make sure the bowl is not touching the surface of the water. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the cream of tartar and pour the mixture into a stand mixer. Add the vanilla extract and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form.
Take your hot milk sponge and cut each cake into three even layers. Spread the lemon curd onto each layer whilst stacking them. Leave about 1 cm from each edge to allow for squishing down. Once complete, spread the Swiss meringue over the cake to cover and pull up to create peaks. Blow torch the meringue to brown.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016