This warm Cape Octopus, Chorizo and Chilli salad is an alternative to the usual cold squid or pickled octopus salads one can sometimes find. Using delicious Cape Town Octopus, I created this light, healthy lunch which is a real treat for when you are craving something different.
Tentacles of one fresh octopus
50g Sliced chorizo
2 red chillies
2 large baby marrow
½ red onion
5 or 6 baby tomatoes
4 sprigs chopped dill
4 sprigs Italian parsley chopped
One handful of sugar snap peas
10 mint leaves chopped
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Boil the octopus until tender (about an hour) and then remove the purple skin covering the tentacles being careful to maintain the ‘suction’ cups. Cool and reserve for later.
Slice the baby marrow and red onion and place into a pan over medium heat with some butter to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the tomatoes in half and place under the grill to blister and soften. Combine the vinegar, herbs, sliced sugar snap peas, sugar and some salt to create a quick dressing. Slice the chillies down the middle and remove the seeds before slicing and adding to the dressing. Check the dressing for acidity and if it’s too acidic, add some olive oil or a touch more sugar to balance the flavour.
In a medium pan over medium to high heat, place the chorizo and allow to release some fat. Add the octopus and some olive oil and heat through. Remove from the heat and add the octopus to the herb dressing with the peas. Squeeze the lemon over the mixture and toss to coat everything well.
Place the baby marrow and onion on the plate with the octopus and tomatoes to create a colourful salad. Garnish with more fresh herbs and coriander pesto if desired.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016