The combination of salty and sweet from the pretzel and the caramel really makes for a rich and delightful cupcake. The sponge itself is light and airy and the salted caramel trend is one of my favourites to experiment with at the moment. These peanut butter and caramel pretzel cupcakes are the result of some creative play and I was super happy with the results – try them for yourself this weekend!For the Cupcake: (Makes 24 mini cupcakes)
½ cup room temeperature butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
¼ cup milk
Preheat the oven to 160c. Line your muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and light.
Add the eggs one at a time, leave time to mix well after each addition.
Mix in the vanilla.
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the egg mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk. Mix until smooth and velvety.
Scoop into muffin cups and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove and leave to cool before decorating.
For the Topping:
A handful of pretzels with coarse salt
½ cup melted chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup cream or milk
1 cup smooth peanut butter
Liquid caramel as found in my Millionaires Shortbread Tart Recipe (just cook it a little less on the stove)
In a stand mixer, beat the butter until light. Gradually add the sifted icing sugar in increments until incorporated. Add the lemon juice and the cream and mix until combined. Fold in the smooth peanut butter.
Place into a piping bag and pipe attractively on top of the cupcake.
Dip the pretzels in the chocolate and use as garnish for the cupcakes.
Drizzle with caramel and serve.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016