These colourful, tasty and healthy Raw Rainbow Spring Rolls with Peanut and Ginger dipping sauce are a real treat for lunch or a snack on hot summer days. The flavour combinations are once again interchangeable but I find what I’ve done with them to be really flavoursome. Being inspired by the Vietnamese crystal rolls, I have kept the mint and added basil to really deliver a strong bang of flavour. I like the dip to be tart but if you prefer, reduce the amount of vinegar to make a ‘creamier’ flavour. This easy recipe is definitely a good one to add to your ‘Green Monday’ vegan repertoire.For the rolls:
Spring roll rice paper
½ small cucumber
Red cabbage, fine sliced
1 nori seaweed sheet
Mung bean sprouts
Cut the carrot, cucumber and beetroot into thin ‘matchsticks’. If your knife skills are somewhat questionable; use a peeler or mandolin to slice the veggies thinly, then stack the slices together and slice vertically through them to make the sticks. Or, if your knife-skills are not very good at all, buy them pre-sliced.
Cut the seaweed into thin strips and pick the basil and mint leaves off the stalks.
Arrange all your filling items neatly on a chopping board so that you don’t miss any of them out when you put the rolls together.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Soak the rice paper sheets in the water until they are soft.
Place a clean, damp cloth on your chopping board and place the wet wrapper on it. Smooth it out so that it is completely flat.
Place your ingredients just above the middle of the wrapper in a straight line. Be careful not to put too much in as it will make it difficult to roll. Fold the top of the wrapper all the way over your fillings (about 1/3rd of the way down) and press them tightly, being careful not to break the skin*. Fold over the two sides inwards before rolling it to the bottom. Keep under a damp cloth until use.
*If you are having difficulty with the skin breaking, use two wrappers put together.For the sauce:
2 tbsp good quality vegan peanut butter
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 4cm piece of ginger, peeled
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016