These Vegan Cinnamon and Pecan Scrolls are the ultimate treat for a Green Monday (hope you’ve all signed the pledge up on Green Monday South Africa). When that sweet tooth kicks in mid-afternoon, this is the perfect complement to a cup of coffee. If you’re having people over for tea, these are also great to whip out to showcase your kitchen skills – and of course they’re vegan, so you can enjoy them with a clear conscious! If you happen to have any left over (which I doubt), pop them in a sealed container and they should keep for a day or two – just remember to re-heat them in the oven before serving again.For the pecan filling
2 cups pecan nuts
1 tbsp ginger powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 cup icing sugar
Water to combine
In a food processor, blitz the pecans, ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice and icing sugar. Add water until it becomes a spreadable paste.
For the dough
1 ¼ cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
3 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the lemon glaze
½ cup icing sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
Combine the lemon juice and the icing sugar and thin with water so that it is runny enough to brush over the scrolls
For the chocolate icing
½ cup good quality cocoa powder
½ cup icing sugar
Combine the ingredients to make a runny mixture to drizzle over the scrolls after baking.
Combine the yeast and the warm water and leave to foam. Mix everything together in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment until velvety and smooth.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Smear the pecan mixture over the entire surface and roll up from one side to the other creating a long sausage.
Cut into 5 cm sections and place upright in a greased cake tin. Leave in a warm area to prove for about 20minutes before baking at 160c for about 40minutes or until a skewer inserted into the dough comes out clean.
Once out of the oven, glaze with the lemon icing using a pastry brush and drizzle with the cocoa icing.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016