I came up with this yoghurt, honey and ginger cake idea whilst eating my absolute favourite yoghurt, Gourmet Greek’s Double Thick Strained plain yoghurt. I thought that as it was so thick already that it feels almost chewable, why not make it into a cake? So I came up with this incredibly easy treat which is quick and simple to make. I chose honey and ginger as my flavourings, but those can be easily adjusted if you desire. I also opted not to make it too sweet as I really wanted the yoghurt flavour to be the star of the show.
For the base
200g (one packet) ginger nut biscuits
50g melted butter
Blitz the biscuits until they resemble wet beach sand and work in the butter to moisten it.
Press the crumble into the base of your pie tin or circular mould so that it is completely compressed and even.
For the cake
500g Gourmet Greek Double Thick Strained Plain Yoghurt
200g cream, whipped to stiff
3 gelatine leaves
Place the gelatine leaves into iced water and allow to soften completely.
Bring the honey to the boil in a small saucepan and add the gelatine leave stirring quickly
Pour the honey mixture into the yoghurt and mix in completely.
Fold in the whipped cream, pour or plop onto the biscuit base. Even out the top and refrigerate overnight.
Serve with a drizzle of crystallised ginger syrup, fresh mint and some thin slices of crystallised ginger.
Do not leave the cake out of the fridge too long before serving as it will soften quite a lot.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016