For those of you who don’t already know, Hartford House is a beautiful hotel nestled in the hills of the KZN Midlands. It is located on a world class stud farm and boasts all the beauty necessary to create an incredibly memorable experience. From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty. General manager, Duncan Bruce, epitomises hospitality. He and his team of polite, discreet and incredibly well trained staff made us feel so special and the service was faultless from beginning to end. We were lucky enough to have three of the lakeside suites for our trip celebrating my dad’s 70th Birthday. Each suite is perfectly appointed and each are completely different in style, décor and feel.
The whole experience at Hartford is based around the food. Since first hearing about Hartford when I was younger, it has always been a sought-after foodie destination. Constantijn Hahndhiek, the head chef and creative mastermind behind Hartford’s culinary delights, has continued and worked on Hartford’s food legacy. Every single plate is beautifully presented, every element has a purpose and most importantly, the flavours are all absolutely exquisite. His passion for food is tangible and this is apparent both when he discusses the evening menu with the guests prior to service, and also when chatting to him personally. The masterful, skilful food is all well thought out and exciting to eat.
None of the offerings are side-lined; the breakfast, the bread, the lunch, the fresh side salad from the vegetable garden, and the extensive dinner tasting menus, are all created with love and care and it can be savoured and felt in every mouthful. I left Hartford in awe of the inspiring food and the entire experience. “Small” touches made this celebration so incredible and the attention and pre-emption of our every need made us feel ultimate luxury. I would recommend Hartford House to anyone looking for a getaway or to celebrate a special occasion. The grounds are beautiful, the accommodation extraordinary, the service impeccable and the food, well, perfection.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016