Two weeks ago, I attended the annual ‘Grand Chapitre’ for Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, in Johannesburg. Held over three days, it consists of various functions around the city, an AGM and the induction ceremony followed by a gala dinner.
I attended the dinner hosted by Stephen Billingham (SACA president) at his culinary school, HTA. The dinner was a fundraising event and the national culinary team put together a fantastic meal for the guests.
The AGM, induction and Gala Dinner were held at the Hilton Hotel in Sandton. This occasion was particularly special as Philip Mostert from Durban was inducted as the new Bailli Délégué, meaning that he is now in charge of the entire organisation for South Africa. His predecessor, Francois Ferreira, retired from the position after a long tenure of doing great things and making progress in leaps and bounds for the society. Both Francois and Philip have shown great support for me and my abilities and I am thrilled to have met them both through La Chaîne.
On the evening of the induction and gala dinner, I was promoted to the board position of ‘Vice-Echanson’. I was also awarded a ‘Brass Blazon’ or plaque. This was a very special award to receive. It can only be given on recommendation from the head of the province to the national board and, thereafter, various requirements need to be met in order for the application to succeed. One can only receive a brass plaque if they meet the exacting standards of Chaîne des Rôtisseurs internationally in offering both outstanding cuisine and being excellent in all the other facets of the recipients’ organisation. I also managed to make history by being not only the youngest Maître Rôtisseur (my chef rank) in the world, but also the youngest board member of Chaîne des Rôtisseurs in the world. The Gala Dinner after the induction was again of an excellent standard and a wonderful time was had by all!
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016