In September last year, I had the honour of externally catering for the wedding of Gayle and Justin De Freitas at the beautiful venue, The Glades Farm. While the event was a challenge with five different main meals on offer, plated for one hundred and sixty guests, and all prepared in a rather small kitchen space, it proved to be a huge success! When you’re working with such an amazing couple like Gayle and Justin, the effort behind the scenes makes it all totally worth it! Gail and Justin, thank you for trusting our team to produce top notch cuisine for your special day.
An extra big thanks to the team working with me: Stephanie, Jonty, Tanya, Cayley, Jamaine, Kaylan, Cebo Lungile, Sphe, Tiffany, Kaveer, Jess – you all know what a big role you played!
Check out Gayle’s testimonial below:
“This is long overdue, but I would like to say a huge thank you to Alex Poltera and his incredible team for making our wedding menu an absolutely incredible culinary experience. I had one guest come up to me during the evening and say “This is not wedding food”, and it certainly wasn’t the mass-produced, over-cooked meal one might expect at such a large event, but rather, a slick production of one masterful plate after another. From the canapes to the cake, every bite was perfection. And besides being an unbelievable chef, thank you for your incredible organisation, efficient team and waiters, and the finishing touches down to the card signed by each person there wishing us congratulations. It was unforgettable.” – Gayle De Freitas
If you’re wondering what was on the menu, take a peek at the menu and images below – thanks to the very talented Derryn Schmidt for the lovely photography.
Sesame and lemon marinated prawns on bruschetta with coriander aioli
Cherry tomato and mozzarella mini skewers with basil vinaigrette
Crostini with rare roast beef, gorgonzola and red wine onions.
Puff pastry tartlet with chive and horseradish cream, beetroot cured salmon, horseradish cream and crispy caper
Mini gourmet sliders – coarse patty, vintage cheddar, caramelised onions and crispy bacon (Served later)
ON THE TABLE:
Artisanal bread (Ciabatta/focaccia) with compound butter (miso and black salt), salted butter
Meze platter with artisanal cured prosciutto and chorizo, marinated olives, tapenade, oven dried tomato, bruschetta, chilli and lime infused artichoke hearts, bread sticks, sundried tomato pesto, tapenade.
Marinated vegetable tian with chunky pesto, roasted vine tomatoes, balsamic reduction, parmesan crisp and buffalo mozzarella. (V)
Fillet of beef, wild mushroom risotto, baby carrots, sugar snap peas and red wine jus.
Norwegian salmon, asparagus, fondant potato, hollandaise sauce.
Braised lamb shank, pea and mint puree, parmesan mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables.
Sous vide pork belly with blue cheese pomme puree, granny smith sauce, asparagus, roast onion and honey wholegrain mustard sauce.
Salted caramel and popcorn tartlets
Set lemon curd and bruléed Swiss meringue tartlets
Triple chocolate brownies with salted pecan nut brittle
Puff pastry wrapped red wine poached pears
Floral orange infused petit fours – white with silver shimmer
Marbled chocolate mousse
Macarons – vanilla bean – white
Millionaires shortbread tarts
Choux puffs with streusel, filled with crème patissier and tart berries
Wedding cake – one layer carrot cake
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016