This Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille is a twist on the traditional French pastry. I love the contrast between the soft vanilla layer and the citrus burst of the lemon curd. Although it looks like quite the task, if you use store-bought puff pastry it really won’t take hours of hard slog… and the reward is in the pudding – trust me! Enjoy.For the pastry
Store-bought, or homemade puff pastry.
Cut the puff pastry into rectangles and place on baking sheet. Cover with greaseproof paper and place another tray on top of the pastry. Bake at 180c for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For the vanilla crème patissier
4 egg yolks
125g castor sugar
40g corn flour
Seeds from one vanilla pod
In a pot, bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla. Cream the sugar and the egg yolks in a bowl to ribbon stage. Add the corn flour to the egg and sugar mixture. Pour a little of the hot milk into the egg mixture to temper, then add to the remainder of the milk. Stir continuously over a low heat until the mixture thickens. Be careful not to let the mixture catch on the bottom of the pot as it will burn very quickly. Remove once the corn flour has cooked out and the mixture is thick. Add the butter and stir in. Place into a bowl and cover with cling film directly on the mixture (this stops it from forming a skin). Refrigerate until set.
For the lemon curd
12 egg yolks
1.5 cups sugar
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp corn flour
6-8 tbsp cold butter
Place all the ingredients except the butter into a pot. Cook over a medium heat stirring continuously with a whisk until the mixture thickens. Strain the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the butter. Cover with cling film directly applied to the top of the curd and refrigerate until set.
Put it together
Pipe the crème patissier onto a rectangle of pastry. Place another rectangle of pastry on top of that. Pipe the lemon curd in blobs. Top with the third piece of pastry.
Latest posts by Alex Poltera (see all)
- Brioche French Toast with Roasted Figs, Mascarpone and Maple Syrup - May 4, 2017
- Cinnamon Churros with Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Ganache and Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce - March 14, 2017
- Vanilla and Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille - March 1, 2017
- Vegan Beetroot Tartare - February 20, 2017
- Valentines Day Chocolate Torrone - February 7, 2017
- Wedding Eats: Gayle & Justin at The Glades - January 19, 2017
- Kaylan’s Tandoori Chicken Skewers - December 15, 2016
- Vegan Mince Pies - December 5, 2016
- Rooibos Panna Cotta with Lemon Buttermilk Sponge and Berry Coulis - November 15, 2016
- Butternut and Parmesan Open Ravioli with Burnt Sage Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts - October 26, 2016
- Green Monday: the best MLT by Keri Bainborough - September 19, 2016
- Eating Green on Mondays – an interview with I Love Foodies - September 12, 2016
- Abingdon launches their 2014 MCC with Bubbles and Brunch at Tijnhuis - September 9, 2016
- Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck - August 16, 2016
- Review: Dower House - August 2, 2016